Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Creepy crawlies



Okay, this is my first attempt at blogging. Since I'm not a scrapbooker, I thought this would be a good way to note the ups and downs of our daily family life. I'm always telling myself to jot down funny or poignant remarks my daughter Audrey makes, or to record the little milestones in Lila's life as she moves through infancy at warp speed. But before I know it, the moment's passed, and I'm scrambling to recall just what it was I wanted to note in the first place. So perhaps this blog will help me to be a better recorder of events.

My first post as a blogger pertains to ... caterpillars! My critter-loving daughter just adores anything slimy, slinky, spiny, crawly, or creepy. Basically, she likes anything that moves and always wants to know more about it. Some of you remember the hornworm experience we had a few months ago; well, now we decided to see if we could transform caterpillars into butterflies. So we sent off for some caterpillars that would become Painted Lady butterflies. After a long flight from California to Alabama, five little fuzzy guys settled down and got to work. They started eating, and eating, and eating (remember "The Very Hungry Caterpillar?" yeah well, it's not merely fiction). After just 5 days, they grew from the size of a fingernail clipping to about 2 1/2 inches in length, and are now about 4 times the width they started out. I think if you watched closely enough, you could actually see them grow. They should start creating their cocoons in a couple of days or so. Then we'll transfer them to a mesh butterfly house and wait for them to emerge!

2 comments:

Lee said...

I've never been a blog follower before,but I have a feeling I'll be following this one! Mother

jayandcourtney said...

well ... when do the dang butter flies show up!?! :)